What is Botulism?
Botulism is a rare but potentially deadly illness caused by a poison most commonly produced by a germ called Clostridium botulinum. The germ is found in soil and can survive, grow, and create a toxin in certain conditions, such as when food is improperly canned. The poison can affect your nerves, paralyze you, and even cause death.
You cannot see, smell, or taste botulinum toxin—but taking even a small taste of food containing this toxin can be deadly.
What are the symptoms of botulism?
Botulism poisining is extremelly serious and can be very deadly. If you or someone you know has symptoms of foodborne botulism, see your doctor or go to the emergency room immediately.
Symptoms may include the following:
- Double vision
- Blurred vision
- Drooping eyelids
- Slurred speech
- Difficulty swallowing
- A thick-feeling tongue
- Dry mouth
- Muscle weakness
What Can You Do To Prevent Botulism Poisoning?
Due to the deadly nature of botulism, I am going to direct you to an excellent US Government resource concerning the best practices for preventing botulism and other food poisonings. Please click the link below for information on this important subject.