Is Krav Maga A Good Self Defense System For Preppers?
Krav Maga, Israeli self-defense, means “close struggle” in Hebrew. Emerich “Imi” Lichtenfeld developed this fighting style during WWII in response to increasing anti-Semitism. It was designed purely for hand-to-hand combat to be used in a kill or be killed situation. So, there is not a sports aspect of Krav Maga. As a result, some state that it is the most effective form of hand-to-hand-combat around.
For example, Krav Maga’s website lists these following principles:
- No Rules- Because street fighting has no rules, Krav Maga has no rules.
- Use Anything-Utilize your bodies’ natural weapons (i.e., your elbow) and any inanimate objects that you may have at hand.
- Everything Goes-Krav Maga takes advantage of your attacker’s naturally sensitive body areas. So, the private, throat, eyes, etc. all are legitimate targets.
- Get It Done-You should finish either your attack or defend as soon as possible.
- Reflexes-Training drills should be designed to help you develop your body’s natural reflexes.
A 2008 article in Black Belt Magazine lists ten tenets of this martial art:
- Training should be as realistic as possible.
- You should think about attacking your attacker multiple times and using whether weapons you may have.
- There are no rules in Krav Maga; so, fight dirty and to win.
- You should prepare for fighting even when you are trying to talk your way out of confrontation.
- Leave the fight area ASAP.
- Remember that you are fighting for your life.
- Avoid confrontation whenever possible. (This is perhaps the most important)
- Don’t voluntarily go to the ground.
- Reactions only take a second.
- If you end up on the ground, you need to get to your feet ASAP.
Below are several principals, which will better explain Krav Maga’s philosophy.
Don’t Fight Your Natural Instincts
Krav Maga takes advantage of natural reactions that people exhibit when attacked. So, instead of fighting your instincts, you’ll use them to your advantage. For example, if you are being choked in front, you’ll most likely grab the attacker’s hands and try to stop him from choking you. Krav Maga teaches you to defend a front choke by reaching up towards the hands of the attacker, grabbing the hands, and forcing your attacker’s hands down and away from your neck. Afterward, you will then finish him with a series of deadly, incapacitating, blows.
Principle # 2
Under Krav Maga, you only need to learn around two to three basic techniques. These techniques then can be used against hundreds of attacks. Furthermore, to use these techniques, you don’t need superhuman strength, cheetah-like speed, or to be a professional athlete. The methods are based upon your natural reactions. So, they are not hard to learn as your body already instinctually reacts this way.
Krav Maga’s, students, regardless of experience, are taught identical techniques. This means that a white belt will learn the same skills as a black belt. However, more advanced practitioners encounter different and varied situations where basic techniques won’t work. Krav Maga teaches students to adapt to these various situations that may come up by teaching them to solve problems. And this problem-solving instruction results in a practitioner being less likely to panic when conditions change in combat. Furthermore, Krav Maga teaching allows you to identify changes and gives you the tools to adapt to those changes.
Krav Maga, as it is practical and not rule-based for the average person, may the best form of realistic self-defense. For example, situational awareness is a big part of Krav maga. So, if this is mastered, you may be best able to avoid a fight altogether. I also like the fact that it trains you to use any makeshift weapon that you may find.
Above all, Krav Maga is battle-proven as the Israeli armed forces have used it since 1948. As a result, for those looking to learn a practical form of self-defense Krav Maga is an excellent style of self-defense. Krav Maga is not for you; if you are looking to compete in a martial arts competition or if you desire to learn high kicks or forms, it is not for you.
Krav Maga Gyms Near You
Click Here for a list of officially certified Krav Maga training centers.